Proper organization of lighting in the bathroom will allow you to comfortably take water procedures. And here it is important to consider not only the number of light sources, but also their color temperature. It is very important not to go overboard, so that you won’t have to put up with blinding brightness while taking a bath or, on the contrary, with scarce lighting.
Long gone the days when a person had to put up with a single dim light bulb under the ceiling. How can you shave or apply makeup in such conditions, if such a zone is organized in the bathroom? About all the subtleties of lighting equipment in this room, we will tell below.
Proper placement of light sources in the bathroom
1 The power of lighting fixtures should be the less, the greater the number of fixtures grouped in one area.
If the bathroom is used as a multifunctional room, then the lighting in the bathroom should be evenly distributed for each individual zone. As a rule, the lamp is placed directly above the tub or in the shower stall itself. A second lamp is installed in the place where the removed items are stored.
As for ceiling lighting in the bathroom, it is selected according to the height of the room. If the height is sufficient, you can place a ceiling “plate”.
Ceilings are low?
Then it is better to opt for adjustable spotlights, providing a light flux of sufficient intensity, or for recessed fixtures. The appearance and shape of devices are chosen on the basis of interior design.
2 The flow of light should be directed perpendicular to reflective surfaces. This prevents glare.
Do not place the lamp directly above the mirror, as the light it emits will distort the reflection. Lighting for the mirror in the bathroom is located on its side edges, and it is better to choose not colored bulbs, but those that form a flow of light, very close in intensity and quality to the natural light.
LED lighting in the bathroom is located under the edge of the bowl or under the window sill. This creates a floating effect and distracts attention from the emptiness that forms under these products.
Such light has no practical functions, but acts as a stylish decoration to create an atmosphere of lightness and relaxation. And the LED strip is suitable for lighting the most different elements in the bathroom – niches, steps and so on.
3 Under-cabinet lighting is the perfect lighting option in a modern bathroom
If you have many lamps, it is recommended that you connect them in separate lines. In this case, you will not be able to turn on all the bulbs at once, but individually.
6 safety rules when wiring electricity in the bathroom
There are some rules and peculiarities of operation of bathrooms. These rooms are characterized by an increased level of humidity, and according to safety requirements, moisture should not interact with the power supply network. For this reason, lighting in the bathroom Khrushchevka or new construction should be carried out with the observance of certain rules.
- Only professional electricians should draw up and assemble a wiring diagram.
- he entire lighting system here must be organized with fixtures that are resistant to constant moisture. You can find out if the chosen lighting fixture is suitable for the specified purpose by looking at the IP index in the technical passport of the product. If the index of the liked model varies from IP 44 to IP 67, such a device is quite suitable for the bathroom.
- Lighting fixtures with metal elements without a protective anti-corrosion coating on the body are not suitable for placement in the shower. Most often such details are present on the most budget modifications. They can not withstand high humidity for a long time, their appearance becomes unsightly, and further exploitation – unsafe.
- Power indicators of devices used for lighting in the bathroom with a shower cabin, should not exceed 12 watts (in case they will be installed inside the cabin).
- Installation of light bulbs directly above the bathtub itself is prohibited by electrical safety regulations.
- It is also inadmissible to install outdoor incandescent lamps in the shower room. Because when the cool water droplets on the heated glass, it will simply burst. If at this point there will be a person nearby, the scattered fragments can hurt him.
What is the best way to light the bathroom?
It will be easier to choose the best option after the completion of the finishing of the room, installation of plumbing, arrangement of furniture and accessories.
All lighting devices, which are suitable for use in bathrooms, can be divided into 3 groups.
Are the most practical and popular. Make such lighting in the bathroom with a suspended ceiling (see photo). Fixtures are simply inserted into the prepared holes and fixed with special latches.
Due to the fact that the heating of the body is small, there is no danger of increasing the temperature of the elements of decoration. Due to this feature of recessed luminaires, it is possible to choose a model with a minimum height of embedding.
These devices are in second place in popularity for lighting in the bathroom (design – in the photo). Structurally, they consist of 2 parts – a thin metal base and a translucent plastic plafond. Such devices are lightweight and inexpensive. They provide a soft, pleasing to the eye, diffused light.
Pendant lighting for the bathroom
Pendant lights can be single-arm or multi-arm. The main advantage of such devices is a variety of forms. They can be made in the most different style and design, as they are made of different materials – plastic, glass, steel alloys, etc.
- Remember, if you choose a heavy suspended model of complex design, then it is worth choosing the most reliable attachment to it.
When creating lighting for the bathroom, you can buy any fixtures you like that fit into the interior design of your bathroom. But at the same time, you should not forget about the strength of the base, on which you plan to install the equipment.
Choice of lamps for the bathroom
For rooms with a high level of humidity, you can use any type of lamp. In this case, before you buy this or that lighting device, it is necessary to learn about the main pros and cons of each of them.
Not a bad option for lighting in the bathroom of any size. They have a long service life and good light output. Such models are approved for installation in any suspended systems, including those that do not react well to heat.
For example, PVC ceilings melt and lose their original shape already when heated to 60 degrees. If heating is even more intense, the film begins to wrinkle and sag near light sources.
However, with halogen lamps, this problem is not to be feared. One disadvantage here – for variations of weak power you need a step-down adapter. Light fixtures come in a variety of colors.
They are distinguished by their affordable price and short lifespan. They get very hot when they work. Their main and perhaps unique advantage is their economical efficiency.
The main advantage of this type of devices is the ability to provide warm daylight in the bathroom, unlike halogen. They are inferior to the latter in terms of power. The maximum wattage is 150 watts. Working, they emit a specific sound, which some people perceive as annoying.
Luminaires with LEDs
This is the most economical option for lighting in the bathroom without stretch ceilings. It is a stylish and beautiful solution to highlight niches, mirrors and other elements of the room.
Calculation of the number of lamps and their installation in the bathroom
The main parameter in the calculation is the brightness, which depends on the type and power of the lamps used. In accordance with the established regulations there should be at least 50 lm (lumens) per 1 square meter of the room.
To understand what lumens means, you have to imagine a stream of light spiraling under a glass envelope. At 100 watts of power, this flux will equal 1,300 lumens, and 25 watts will form a flux of 200 lm.
To calculate the number of devices you need to calculate how many lm are in 1 watt, then determine the power per square meter. The result is multiplied by the total area of the room. In this case, the scheme of placement of fixtures can be complex, including those consisting of several tiers.
- In the bathroom with a low ceiling, it is not recommended to place massive lighting fixtures. Here, flat lamps that do not take up much space will look much better.
- Luminaire with a flat lampshade in this case will be appropriate on the ceiling. The package provides fasteners, which are fixed with screws. They are installed above the doorway or in front of the entrance to the bathroom. Such lamps look great if you arrange them evenly around the perimeter.
- In the case of ceiling and wall lighting in the bathroom, no plafonds are installed on a base of gypsum plasterboard. The most practical in this case would be to use a spot light. Such devices practically do not take up free space, create a minimum of shadows, because they are placed on the entire surface.
- In this case, the installation process is fraught with the need to create wiring. Laying of cables is carried out in a corrugated or special plastic pipes.
- One of the main advantages of framework systems is their rigidity. If the cables are in tubes, they can not be fixed, but simply laid on gypsum boards.
- At the same time, everything must be done so that these ends do not come into contact with the steel profile. Use a cylindrical nozzle to drill the required number of holes in the gypsum board. It is better to do this after the installation of the plasterboard, to avoid possible mistakes.
- For the installation of electrical wiring under the suspended ceiling system, it is fixed with plastic clamps on the ceiling. Lighting equipment is fixed on racks installed on the ceiling.
- They need to be adjusted to the level of the fabric. Then holes are made in the base above them with a sharp knife. The lights are framed with the frames that come with them.
The film or gypsum plasterboard must be at a minimum distance from the slab:
120 mm – for incandescent lamps;
70 mm – for halogen lamps.
If the room is large, with a high ceiling, it is allowed to install even a fairly massive chandelier. With suspended ceilings, the holes are closed with frames to prevent the spread of the cloth in different directions.
Mirrors and niches
Devices placed next to mirrors are directed to the person or down on lockers and shelves. In this way, the reflection will be clear and bright and undistorted.
It is best to fix them on the sides and above the mirror. Models on brackets, which can change position, are optimal for this purpose. Small low-bright bulbs that do not irritate the eyes look great at the bottom.
A place near the flooring
Most often this is the bottom of the bath or podium. Mounting lighting can also be done in the floor itself. Such light plays a decorative role, creating a cozy atmosphere for relaxation.
3 designer’s tips for organizing lighting in the bathroom
Style – a very subjective concept, but there are common principles of harmony, which each of us understands intuitively. For example, it will look ridiculous a large chandelier in a small bathroom. Also, it is not recommended very much stylistic interference and try to combine the classic and high-tech.
Focus on practicality
When decorating the interior of the bathroom in the first place should take into account convenience. For example, spot lighting in the bathroom is arranged in groups – they are installed where there is the greatest need for several bulbs at once. Devices are placed in such a way as to avoid the emergence of shadows as much as possible.
It is worth being guided by the principles of symmetry and uniformity. Many experts recommend emphasizing on some bright and conspicuous element. As such a detail just choose a central chandelier or highlight an accent element of the interior, directing the lighting to it.
Using the advantages of the layout
If the ceilings in the bathroom reach 3+ meters, use rays reflected from the floor and walls. You can do this by installing light fixtures at the top of the wall that will point slightly inward and downward.
If it is necessary to achieve a diffused and soft light, the lights are directed upwards and hidden behind decorative covers or a wide baseboard, so they would not be visible.
Highlighting the work area near the sink
The working area near the sink is worth a lot of attention. Here, too, there must be no shadows. If the lights are very bright, the light streams will dazzle the eyes and glare. If the intensity of the flow of light will be insufficient, it will complicate the cosmetic procedures in front of the bathroom mirror.
Above the mirror the light should be as close to natural daylight as possible. This will avoid distorting the color of objects located nearby. The most convenient option for lighting in the bathroom is the installation of sconces on flexible stands with the possibility of adjustment.
Even if your bathroom is very small, it should be distinguished by well-organized lighting. In this room, we spend not so much time compared to, for example, the kitchen or bedroom, but its light design is given much attention. And only on the correct organization of any variant of bathroom lighting depends on the level of comfort when taking baths.